Designed For Teachers
If you are an English instructor, you can sign up for a free account. Send us an email with some information about what you teach and where, and we’ll help you get started.
Having your own profile allows you to keep track of your progress and quiz results. In addition, if you assign our writing guide to your students, you can see their results as well. This requires students to purchase an account, but you’ll be hard pressed to find a more affordable text for your courses!
The Nature of Writing contains 200+ lessons, 200+ videos, and 100+ quizzes. By default, our lessons are open access, meaning that even if students are not logged in they can still keep learning. However, many quizzes are restricted to enrolled users, to provide them with an enhanced experience.
Here are some advantages to adopting The Nature of Writing as your course textbook:
- Students typically find print writing guides harder to navigate.
- Our lessons follow the Universal Design for Learning guidelines, especially in providing multiple means of engagement. Most lessons come in video and text format, and students can constantly test their knowledge by completing quizzes.
- Instructional videos include close captioning.
- We provide so much more than just writing advice. Check out our additional subjects section for a host of other lessons.
- Logged in instructors can access printable versions of the quizzes.
- The Nature of Writing is peer reviewed in real time. Thousands of users read our text every week, and when someone spots the occasional error, we make the correction right away. That said, we take great pride in proofreading all new lessons carefully.
- Our writing advice aims to balance prescriptive and descriptive approaches to teaching grammar.
- The Nature of Writing is designed and created by an award-winning teacher.